The design of the database is critical. With the wrong design the programming effort can be greater and information harder to extract. Here we like to talk about things like third and fourth normal form, which really means putting say customer information into your system one place only and maintaining it in one place only, and then using it where ever it is needed.
With the right database design and todays reporting tools it is very easy to get answers to questions such as:
- What were my sales for this product, by customer, by state, et cetera?
- What did this customer buy?
- How do sales vary in Winter?
- How many enquiries have we had?
- What items is this supermarket not selling that they should be?
- How much profit have I made?